Thank-you to the assistant librarian at my primary school who put aside this book for me and told me to read it because she knew I’d love it
Wonderstruck is a book written and illustrated by Brian Selznick (who is also the author of The Invention of Hugo Cabret). It tells the story of two children – Ben and Rose. Ben was born deaf in one year and is now living with his aunty and uncle (after being orphaned) in Minnesota, 1977. starts in Gunflint Lake, Minnesota in June 1977. He was born deaf in one of his ears.
Set across different time periods and following the lives of two pretty different children, Ben’s story is told in words while Rose’s is told in pictures.
- The storyline is very compelling
- The art and writing are SO. GOOD.
- The characters are very likeable and easy to empathise with
- It’s a suitable for all ages sort of book – both children and adults can appreciate it
- The characters’ lives are diverse
- With all the detail that’s in the book, re-reading it never gets boring
- I can’t spoil anything, but it’s beautiful how well the story concludes